Sunday, April 8, 2012

Book Review: The Shack

Title: The Shack

Author: Wm. Paul Young

Publisher: Windblown Media

Release Date:  June 1, 2011

Genre: Christian Fiction

Format read in: Paperback

What Goodreads says: Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation, and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his "Great Sadness," Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. 
3.75 of 5 stars3.75 of 5 stars3.75 of 5 stars3.75 of 5 stars

What I say: I admit that I avoided reading this book. It was recommended to me several times and ever time I promptly avoided it and went on to something else. I'm not quite sure why I was so afraid of it. Maybe it was the cover. Or maybe it was the murder and bloody clothes. Once my mother-in-law handed me the book I opened it and read it. I was not impressed. The hype was definitely overrated. I skimmed many parts. It is hard for me swallow authors - whether they are writing fiction or non-fiction - telling me what God wants and how I should live my life according to God. If I could read this and keep reminding myself that it's fiction, I may have had a better experience but I just couldn't get over the preachiness of it.
3.75 of 5 stars3.75 of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment